1. [19C] a pawnbroker’s shop.
2. [early 19C] as ext. of sense 1, a police cell, a prison; used in up the spout
[mid-19C] out of pawn.
1. [early 19C–1920s] hospitalized, imprisoned.
2. [early 19C+] (also up the gargoyle) in the pawnshop.
3. [early 19C+] (also up a spout) having problems, ‘in a bad way’.
4. [mid-19C] in fig. use of sense 2, put on one side, discarded.
5. [mid-19C-1910s] impoverished; bankrupt.
6. [mid-19C+] (also up a spout) gone to waste, ruined.
7. [mid-19C] of money, missing.
8. [late 19C+] dead.
9. [1940s+] (also up the shoot) pregnant.
10. [1960s] wrong, incorrect.
[late 19C] a general phr. used of something that has gone to waste, been squandered or lost.