1. [late 17C–18C] tobacco.
2. [late 17C–18C] tobacco smoke.
3. [late 17C–early 19C; 1940s+] a stench.
4. [1930s+] (orig. US black) sweat generated during sex, dancing, general body odour.
5. [1930s+] (orig. US black) anything basic, elemental, earthy; the essence of being; thus funkster n., one who has such qualities.
6. [1970s] (US) anything attractive or beautiful.
7. [2000s] (US campus) any sexually transmitted disease.
8. [2000s] (US drugs) marijuana.
a fan of funk music.
[late 19C] (Aus.) cowardice.