1. [early 18C+] (UK Und., also hoys) constr. with the, the act of shoplifting or breaking into houses; also used of those who specialize in the crime.
2. [late 18C+] (UK Und.) a shoplifter or burglar.
3. [1930s] the profits from a robbery.
4. [1930s+] (US) a hold-up or hijacking.
5. [1930s+] (also hyste) any form of robbery.
2. robbing a man by holding him upside down and shaking the money out of his pockets.
[19C] a shoplifter .
[18C–early 19C] to shoplift.
[early 19C+] working as a shoplifter.