1. [late 17C+] a general term of address.
2. [mid-19C] (UK Und.) an accomplice who is pre-ordained to win the prize in a fake raffle or lottery.
3. [mid-19C] the old man, generally an aged pauper, in charge at a tramp’s lodging house or casual ward.
4. [mid-19C] the man who gives away the bride at a wedding, trad., but not invariably, her father.
5. [mid-19C+] an influential, powerful person, e.g. a civic leader.
6. [mid-19C+] as the daddy, the supreme example, the most important, powerful, the best, the best known etc, often as the daddy of them/us all.
7. [1910s+] a boyfriend, a lover; also as a term of address.
8. [1920s+] (orig. US) an older man who is willing to provide the various material desires of his younger mistress or, if gay, male lover.
9. [1920s+] (US black) a form of address to a black male, esp. by a woman to her lover.
10. [1930s] (US tramp) a Cadillac [as a rhyme on Caddy n.].
11. [1930s+] (US) a pimp, a prostitute’s boyfriend.
12. [1940s+] a masculine lesbian.
13. [1940s+] (UK prison) a leader (through intimidation and other influence) of the inmates in a borstal or prison.
14. [1950s+] an older male homosexual; a masculine homosexual.
15. [1960s–70s] (US prison) the ‘active’ or ‘masculine’ partner of a homosexual couple.
16. [1970s] (US) a customer, a client.
17. [1990s+] an unspecified object, a thing.
[20C+] (US black) a lover or any man who provides for a woman.
[1950s] (US) to a very great extent, very much, a great deal.
1. [1910s] (US prison) a predatory prison homosexual.
2. [1950s+] (US black) a lover or any man who provides for a woman; a pimp.
1. an attractive, well-dressed man.
2. a male lover.
3. a pimp.
[2000s] (US black) a deliberately insulting form of address.
SE in slang uses
[1990s+] (US black) the testes and the scrotum.
see under tank n.1