1. [1920s+] covered in excrement; generally filthy.
2. [1920s+] unpleasant, disgusting; mediocre, second-rate.
3. [1920s+] (US) mean, malicious, nasty.
4. [1920s+] (US) tedious, futile; emotional stressful.
5. [1920s+] (US) unwell, ill.
6. [1960s+] (Aus.) bad-tempered.
7. [1970s] (US) dangerous.
8. [1970s] incompetent.
[1950s+] (Aus./N.Z.) bad-tempered.
[1970s] (US) sycophantic and contemptible.
to feel terrible, usu. emotionally, i.e. guilty, depressed, mean (cf. feel like shit under shit n.).
see short end (of the stick) under stick n.