1. [mid-17C–early 19C] (US) to hang.
2. [18C] to beat, to kill.
3. [19C] to have sexual intercourse.
4. [late 19C+] (Aus./N.Z., also smoke it, smoke one’s dot) to make a hasty departure [SE late 17C–19C].
5. [late 19C-1910s] (Aus.) vtr., to hide someone away.
6. [1910s+] to throw very fast, usu. of a ball; thus smoke ball n., a ball thrown very fast.
7. [1920s+] to kill, to murder, to shoot at (with a firearm); thus smoking n., a murder or shooting [the image of smoke coming from the gun].
8. [1970s] (US campus) to perform well, to behave impressively.
9. [1970s+] to beat comprehensively (at sport).
10. [1980s+] to beat up.