1. [mid-19C+] a woman, a girlfriend; thus dimin. tartlet [usu. only in dialect].
2. [late 19C+] a promiscuous woman, a prostitute; also of homo-/heterosexual men since 1960s; also attrib. [dominant use since early 20C].
3. [1920s] (Aus.) an attractive young woman.
4. [1930s+] (gay) an older man’s young male lover.
5. [1930s+] (gay) a gay prostitute.
6. [1990s+] a promiscuous homosexual.
7. [2000s] a fool, irrespective of gender.
8. used as a term of address, irrespective of gender.
9. see tartar n. (2)
[1970s] (US gay) a pimp for homosexuals.