1. [late 19C+] (US, orig. tramp) a street; usu. as main stem n.
2. in drug uses.
(a) [1900s–1950s] an opium pipe.
(b) [1970s] in pl., marijuana stems, as unsmokeable debris.
(c) [1970s+] a marijuana/hashish pipe.
(d) [1980s+] a crack cocaine pipe (laboratory pipette).
3. [1910s–40s] (US Und.) a drill, used in safebreaking.
4. [1920s] the area where tramps beg.
5. [1920s–30s] (US tramp) an act of begging.
6. [1930s+] (US black) the world of the street, as a generic.
[late 19C] (US) a fantasy.
1. [1920s–50s] (US tramp) to beg on the main street; thus stem hitter n., a street beggar.
2. [1930s–40s] (US drugs) to smoke opium.
see under mooch v.
[1990s+] smoking crack cocaine.
[1900s] (US drugs) smoking opium.