fuck, the phr.
1. [1910s+] (also in the fuck, in the eff) var. on hell, the phr. (1) used in questions, e.g. what the fuck...? phr.
2. [1950s+] as infix, e.g. shut the fuck up.
3. [20C+] a general intensifier implying quantity or intensity; a var. on hell, the phr. (3)
4. [1970s+] a general intensifier used to express anger, annoyance, impatience; a var. on hell, the phr. (2)
5. [1970s+] the essence, the spirit, ‘the daylights’, e.g. slap the fuck out of.
6. [1980s+] abbr. of what the fuck...? phr. (1) or vars.; the question word is implied.
[1940s+] to leave, to go away; the use of fuck intensifies the urgency.
[1970s+] to beat someone up severely.
[1990s+] to terrify.
see what the fuck...? phr.
1. an intensified var. on go away!
2. an intensified var. on get out of here! and similar phr. of (joc.) disbelief.