1. [late 19C] a broken-veined, bloated nose that exhibits signs of its possessor’s heavy drinking.
2. [20C+] a red nose.
3. [1920s+] a bruise, esp. a graze or sore that results from friction with the ground.
4. in drug uses [the colour of the tablets].
(a) [1970s] amphetamines.
(b) [1970s] mescaline.
(c) [1970s+] (also strawberry field(s)) LSD [the Beatles’ song ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ (1967)].
5. [1980s+] (US teen) a promiscuous woman, esp. one who barters sex for drugs; also used of males [? the woman spends so much time on her knees (for fellatio) or on her back (for intercourse) that she gets scars; but note Mex. Sp. fresa, lit. strawberry, a girl who frequents a dancehall].
6. [1990s+] (US campus) a good-looking woman.
7. [1990s+] (Aus.) a $5 note.
SE in slang uses
[1950s] (UK prison) the punishment diet of bread and water.
see sense 4c above.
[2000s] cunnilingus or intercourse with a menstruating woman.