1. [late 17C+] to hit, to punch; thus sock into/up v., to assault, to beat.
2. [mid-19C] (US) to knock someone’s hat over their head.
3. [late 19C] (US) to throw.
4. [late 19C–1900s] (US) to pay; to treat someone to something.
5. [late 19C–1970s] to thrust an object.
6. [20C+] in fig. use, to ‘hit’.
7. [1900s] (US) to give.
8. [1910s–60s] (Aus., also sock away, sock back, sock down) to drink (alcohol).
9. [1920s+] to demand, to extort; to fine; often as sock for.
to present, to put forward.
[20C+] to wager money.
see separate entry.
[1930s+] to register on the time clock.