1. [early 19C+] the nose; thus a nickname for one who has a large nose; thus conked adj., having a type of nose as specified.
2. [early–mid-19C] (UK Und.) an informer, a thief who betrays his accomplices [‘sniff things out’].
3. [early 19C–1900s] a policeman [‘sniff things out’].
4. [mid-19C+] the head; thus -conked, -headed; off one’s conk, crazy, eccentric.
5. [late 19C+] a punch, usu. on the nose.
6. [1940s] intelligence; thinking.
1. an intellectual.
2. a difficult problem.
3. cheap liquor.
[20C+] (US black) the head.
[1940s] (US black) the head.
1. to work very hard.
2. to show one’s happiness in an emotional outburst.
3. to go mad.