1. [mid–late 19C] a scarf- or tie-pin.
2. [late 19C] a woman’s brooch.
3. [20C+] a diamond or other valuable piece of jewellery.
1. [1900s] a pickpocket in general.
2. [1900s–30s] (also stone getter) a stealer of diamond and other brooches.
[1930s–40s] (US) a thief specializing in small pieces of personal jewellery.
[mid–late 19C] a thief who steals scarf- or tie-pins, brooches and similar small pieces of jewellery.
[1940s] (UK Und.) a thief specializing in tie-pins or other pieces of small jewellery.