1. [mid-19C+] a euph. for a variety of obscenities, e.g. bugger n.1 , shit n., bastard n. etc.
2. [mid-19C] (Aus. Und.) the victim of a street robbery who proves to have no possessions or money to steal.
3. [1950s] (US prison) an aspirin.
4. [1950s–60s] a bad or insignificant, worthless person.
5. [1950s+] (orig. prison) a rejection, esp. of a parole application.
6. [1960s] a halt, a stop.
7. [1960s] a fault, a bad characteristic.
8. [1960s+] (drugs, also blanks) any powder sold as a narcotic but absolutely without effect; thus generic for second-rate drugs.
SE in slang uses
[19C+] to fail, to be disappointed, frustrated.
of a man, to be infertile, to ejaculate infertile semen.
[1920s] (US) to be rejected.
[1900s] to deceive.
1. [1950s–70s] (US) to fail, to have no luck.
2. [1980s+] (US black, also shoot blanks) to attempt sophisticated conversation but to fail in so doing; to use words that have no ‘target’.
1. [1950s+] to ejaculate infertile semen; thus blank shooter n.
2. [1960s+] of a man, to fail to achieve an erection, to be impotent.