1. [mid-16C+] a lump or clot of some slimy substance.
2. [early 17C; 19C+] a lump, a mouthful.
3. [late 19C+] (UK Und.) a theft carried out by a thief who spits on a man’s coat, alerts him to the problem, then robs him while pretending to ‘help’ him clean up.
4. [late 19C+] one who is typified by their spitting.
(a) (US, also gobshite) any sailor.
(b) a sailor’s hat.
5. [20C+] a lump; thus gobby adj., lumpy.
6. [1910s] (UK public school) someone who makes one feel sick.
7. [1970s] spit.
8. see gobshite n. (2)
[1980s+] (US gay) a gay man who prefers sailors as partners.
see separate entry.