1. [mid-16C+] a general pej., the implication being of stupidity and lumbering size; thus apishness n.
2. [mid-19C+] (orig. US, also apeman) a derog. term for a black person.
3. [1920s+] a thug, a hoodlum.
4. [1940s] (Aus.) £50; £500.
5. [1980s] (S.Afr.) a white man.
a fool; a general term of abuse.
[1980s] (US) an ugly, thuggish person.
[1960s+] (orig. US) high, extra-long motorcycle handlebars, favoured by outlaw riders such as Hell’s Angels.
[mid-19C+] (US) a fool, an idiot, thus adj. ape-headed, stupid.
[1940s] (US) liquor.
see dog in a doublet under dog n.2
[1920s] (US) a derog. term for a black person.
see under brush n.3
1. (Aus./US) a peasant.
2. (Aus.) a rural worker.
3. (Aus.) an itinerant fruit-picker, usu. in Queensland.
4. (Can./US) a logger.
[1910s+] (US) a rough, thuggish man.
see like a blue-arsed baboon under baboon n.
[1940s+] (US black) an extremely unattractive and very dark-skinned person.
1. a derog. term for a black person.
2. anyone viewed with disfavour, e.g. a teenager.