1. [late 18C–mid-19C] a roast turkey.
2. [mid-19C] a long smoking pipe; thus broken alderman, a short pipe.
3. [mid–late 19C] half-a-crown, 2s 6d (12½p).
4. [late 18C; 1910s–40s] a paunch; thus aldermanic, portly.
5. [late 19C–1950s] a large crowbar [on pattern of citizen n. (1); gentleman n.; lord mayor n.1 : smaller and larger versions of the tool].
[late 18C] a roast turkey garlanded with sausages.
[19C–1900s] a turkey garlanded with sausages.
[17C] a steady, careful pace, as befits an official with a fine sense of his own importance.