1. [mid-16C+] the voice.
2. [18C+] the lungs, esp. of a singer.
3. [early 19C+] (also pipe) the throat.
4. [1990s+] (US campus) the upper arms.
5. [2000s] the vocal chords.
6. see pipe n.1 (1d)
1. [mid-17C; mid-19C] to take a drink in order (lit. or fig.) to clear the throat.
2. to clear one’s throat, esp. preparatory to singing.
3. [early 18C; 1980s] in fig. use, to lose one’s emotions, to ‘let off steam’.
[1980s] to work oneself to exhaustion.
1. [18C+] to sing.
2. to clear one’s throat.
[mid-16C–mid-18C] to cease from an action; to stop talking.
1. [17C] to yell, to scream.
2. to complain; to make a fuss.