1. [mid-18C] (UK Und.) a wig.
2. [mid-19C] (US Und.) an umbrella or sunshade.
3. [mid–late 19C] in pl., a variety of late-night music-halls and bars on or near the Strand, London; used generically in US [their opening during the ‘shady’ hours].
4. in racial contexts.
(a) [mid-19C–1960s] (US) a derog. term for a black person.
(b) [1960s+] (US) a derog. term for a white person; occas. as adj.
5. [1920s+] (US Und.) a receiver of stolen goods.
6. [1930s+] (Irish) a police officer.
7. [1950s+] in pl., dark glasses, sunglasses [note 19C shades, goggles, e.g. for use during stone-breaking].
[1910s-20s] (US Und.) in prison.