1. [18C; mid-19C+] sexual intercourse.
2. [late 18C+] a blow; thus take a poke at
3. [mid-19C; 1990s+] in fig. use, a verbal attack.
4. [late 19C+] a woman seen as a partner in sexual intercourse; often as good poke, lousy poke; occas. of a man.
5. [1950s+] usu. of cars or motorcycles, speed, horsepower.
6. in drug uses.
(a) [1950s+] a puff on a marijuana cigarette.
(b) [2000s] a puff on a crack cocaine pipe.
1. [20C+] (orig. US) to assault, to aim a blow at.
2. [1930s+] to have a try, to attempt.
3. [1950s] to attack verbally, to cause problems for.