1. as a lit. or fig. assault.
(a) [19C+] to shoot (to kill), of animals and humans.
(b) [1910s+] to hit, to knock out.
(c) [1960s+] (US, mainly campus/teen) of a man, to seduce, to have sexual intercourse with.
(d) [1970s+] (US gay) to have homosexual anal intercourse.
(e) [1990s+] (Aus.) to wound, to beat.
2. fig. to ‘place in a bag’ for gain.
(a) [early 19C+] of an object or animal, to seize.
(b) [19C+] to steal; to rob; to hide away.
(c) [mid-19C+] to gain, to secure possession of, to win for oneself (esp. after repeated efforts).
(d) of a human, to catch, to arrest.
(e) [1910s+] to claim.
(f) [1990s+] to get something non-material.
3. lit. or fig. to hide or ‘throw away’ into a bag.
(a) [mid–late 19C] to dismiss [dial. bag, to dismiss, to jilt].
(b) [1950s+] (Aus./US) to denigrate, to criticize.
(c) [1960s+] (US) to make a mess of, to fail at, to botch.
(d) [1960s+] (US campus) to miss a class or examination; to give up a course of study; often as bag school v.; bag it
(e) [1960s+] (US campus) to neglect, to stop doing something, to dismiss or disregard an idea or plan.
(f) [1980s] to break a date, to ‘stand someone up’.
(g) [1980s+] (US campus) to throw away; to give up.
(h) [1980s+] (US) to hide something unpleasant from the speaker’s sight.
4. [1950s+] (US black) to swallow semen or vaginal fluid during oral intercourse [SE bag, a receptacle, in this case the mouth].
5. [1960s+] (drugs, also bag up) to divide bulk purchases of drugs into smaller quantities for dealing.
6. [1960s+] (US) to classify, to put into categories.
7. [1960s+] (US drugs) to inhale glue or a similarly intoxicating substance, by pouring into a paper or polythene bag, from which the fumes are sucked into one’s mouth.
8. [1970s] (US) to wear.
see separate entry.
1. [late 19C–1930s] to play truant.
2. [1960s] to fake illness to get out of work [note milit. jargon bag it, to malinger].
3. [1960s+] (also bag it up) to disregard, to give up.
4. [1960s+] (US campus) to be quiet, usu. as imper.
5. [1970s] to go to sleep.
6. to have sex with an unattractive woman, lit. to place a bag over her head.
see separate entry.
1. to criticize, usu. wittily.
2. to complain.
[1940s] (US) to notice, to pay attention to, often as imper. bag onto that, take a look at that.
see under rays n.
1. see sense 5 above.
2. see also separate entries.
see under z n.1
[1960s+] (US) forget it!
[1990s+] (orig. US) a general dismissive excl.
[mid–19C+] (US) a general dismissive excl.; give in! back off! shut up!; often as go and...