1. [late 18C+] a blow, usu. with some form of stick.
2. a second-rate or inexperienced coachman [his reliance on the whip].
3. [1940s] (US Und.) a prison sentence.
4. [1960s+] (Scot./Aus.) a punishment, one’s deserts.
5. [1980s+] (drugs) the act of diluting bulk drugs, e.g. heroin, for retail sale.
6. skill, ability.
[1980s+] (drugs) phencyclidine.
[1970s+] (Scot./Aus.) to get one’s deserts.
[1910s+] to collapse, to break down (lit. and fig.).
[late 19C+] lit. or fig. off-centre, out of true, out of order, feeling unwell.