get down v.2
1. [1910s+] (orig. US) to commit oneself, to make a serious effort.
2. [1930s+] (orig. US) to have sexual intercourse.
3. [1950s+] (orig. US) to dance, to have a good time.
4. [1960s+] (US black) to establish oneself, to work.
5. [1960s+] (orig. US, also get down with one’s bad self) to do something especially well.
6. [1970s] (US Und.) of a prostitute, to start work for the night.
7. [1970s+] to make something happen, to reach a successful conclusion.
8. [1970s+] to join in with, to take part in.
9. [1970s+] (US black) to fight.
10. [1980s] (US black) to attempt seduction.
[1980s+] (US black) to become abusive, to cause trouble.
see under Y n.
[1930s–70s] (US black) to enjoy oneself, to enter wholeheartedly into the spirit of an occasion.
see sense 5 above.
SE in slang uses
[1980s] (US black) to have sexual intercourse.
see under nitty-gritty n.
see under tin tacks n.