1. [1910s–50s] an opium pipe.
2. [1930s–50s] opium.
3. [1970s+] marijuana.
1. [1930s–70s] (US, also gong-beater) an opium smoker.
2. [1950s] a marijuana smoker.
[late 19C–1940s] (US drugs) to smoke opium.
[1930s–60s] (drugs) to smoke opium.
[1930s+] (drugs) to smoke opium.
1. [1910s–1970s] (US drugs, also boot the gong around, kick it around, kick the gonger around, …the pipe around, ...the rag around, ...the toy around) to use drugs, esp. opium, heroin or morphine.
2. [1940s+] (US) to gossip, to chat.
3. [1940s+] (orig. US black) in fig. use, to fool around.
4. [1950s] (US drugs, also boot the gong around) to smoke marijuana.
5. [1970s+] (US) to masturbate.
6. (US) to act energetically.