1. [mid-16C–mid-18C; 1930s] (also doll common) a prostitute.
2. [early 17C+] a woman.
3. [mid-19C+] (US) anything, or anyone, excellent, first-rate; also as adj.
4. [mid-19C+] (US) a conceited or self-satisfied person.
5. [1910s+] a conventionally attractive young woman; occas. used of (homosexual) young men.
6. [1950s+] a general term of affection.
7. [1960s] (US) a person, a man.
8. [1990s+] (S.Afr.) a term of affection.
1. an attractive young woman; also as a term of address, sweetheart.
2. attrib. use of sense 1.
see dolly-boy under dolly n.1
[1980s+] (US teen) of women, the act of being conventionally pretty.
see sense 1 above.
[1920s–50s] (US) a brothel; thus doll woman, a prostitute.
[1990s+] (US) a brothel.
SE in slang uses
[1900s] (US) small pieces.