1. [mid-19C] (Aus./N.Z.) a sturdy horse, standing about 15 hands high, that is sufficient for the work required.
2. [mid-19C–1940s] (US) an incompetent or undistinguished person; also attrib.
3. [mid-19C+] (US) a worn-out old horse.
4. [mid-19C+] (US) a fellow, a person, a chap.
5. [1900s] (US campus) a hard-working student.
6. [1900s] (Can.) an unpleasant person.
7. [1910s] (US) a hard-working but materially unsuccessful person.
8. [1930s] a worn-out racing greyhound.
9. [1940s+] (US) a damaged or malfunctioning object, e.g. an old car.