1. [19C+] usu. in pl., the hand, esp. the fist.
2. [mid-19C+] (US) a rejection or dismissal; usu. in phrs. below.
3. [mid-19C+] a boxing glove; usu. in pl.; thus mitten-mill n., a prize-fight.
4. [late 19C–1930s] a handcuff; usu. in pl.
5. [1920s] (US Und.) a knuckle duster.
[1990s+] (US gay) a man who masturbates other men.
1. [19C-1920s] (US) to be turned down as a suitor, to be rejected.
2. [mid-19C] (US campus) to be expelled from a college.
3. [late 19C] to be dismissed from employment.
[mid-19C–1900s] (US) to reject a proposal of marriage, to end a relationship.
[late 19C] to dismiss from a job.