1. as a quantity of drink or drugs.
(a) [early 17C+] drink, usu. in a quantity sufficient to render the drinker drunk; thus a state of drunkenness in phrs. carry a load, get a load on/in, have a load on, take a load on etc.; thus half a load, a state of semi-drunkenness.
(b) [1920s+] an amount of drugs, e.g. the quantity of heroin required to sustain an addiction.
(c) [1920s+] an injection.
(d) [1950s+] 25 or 30 packs of heroin held together in a bundle, the equivalent of an ounce weight.
(e) as sense 1a in context of marijuana.
2. [mid-18C–mid-19C] (UK Und.) one’s personal possessions or money, also the proceeds of a crime.
3. as abbr. of ‘load of rubbish,’ ‘load of nonsense,’ ‘load of shit,’ etc.
(a) [mid–late 19C] (US campus) a practical joke.
(b) [1930s+] (US) an old, discontinued model or a run-down, dilapidated vehicle or a stolen car.
(c) [1930s+] (orig. US) utter nonsense; a prevarication.
(d) [1940s+] (orig. US black) an automobile.
(e) [1940s+] (US) a stupid, ridiculous or contemptible person.
(f) [1970s] (Aus. Und.) fabricated evidence.
4. in context of the body or bodily fluids [SE loaded, to be burdened with, to be weighed down. Note late 19C use of load, measles, smallpox].
(a) [mid-19C+] (US) faeces, a bowel movement.
(b) [late 19C+] (orig. Aus.) a bout of venereal disease.
(c) [1920s+] (US) an ejaculation of semen or an orgasm (of either sex).
(d) [1940s+] (US) a very fat person.
(e) [1960s+] (US black) a large amount of semen in the testes.
(f) [1970s] a large penis.
(g) [1980s] (US black) the intense urge to have sex.
[1980s+] (US gay) the penis before ejaculation of its ‘load’ of semen.
[1970s+] usu. of a man, to ejaculate, to come to orgasm.
[1990s+] to ejaculate.
[1920s+] (US) to catch sight of; also in fig. use, to register, to take note of.
[1990s+] to ejaculate.
1. [late 19C] to give birth.
2. [1930s] to have a miscarriage.
3. [1940s+] (US black, also drop it) to reduce tension by having sexual intercourse.
4. [1960s+] (also drop one) to defecate.
5. [1970s] (also drop a load) to experience a shock.
6. [1990s+] to act in a cowardly manner; synon. with shit one’s load under shit v.
1. [1960s] to defecate.
2. [1980s+] (N.Z.) to ejaculate.
1. [1920s+] (orig. US) to notice, to look at deliberately.
2. [1920s+] (orig. US) a demand that one’s audience listen to something or notice an event; usu. in a sexual context, e.g. get a load of that! and usu. between males.
[1960s+] (US drugs) 15 packs of heroin, each weighing about 1g and thus equivalent to ½ ounce, a typical purchase made by a small pusher.
[2000s] to urinate.
[1920s+] a defecation.
1. [1960s+] a defecation.
2. [1980s+] (US gay) the removal of a penis from the anus.
[1990s+] to be absolutely terrified.
1. [20C+] to ejaculate; usu. of a man.
2. [1950s+] in fig. use, to expend one’s best effort.
3. [1960s] in fig. use: to blame, to pass on a responsibility.
see get a load of
[1940s+] (US) to get drunk.
SE in slang uses
[1920s+] (US) a lazy, unenthusiastic or pessimistic person.
[late 19C+] (Can.) to make one’s best effort.