1. [18C+] excrement.
2. [late 18C+] an act of defecation.
3. [1920s+] rubbish, nonsense.
4. [1920s+] an unpleasant person.
5. [1970s+] a derog. form of address.
6. [1980s+] the essence, the ‘daylights’.
7. [1990s+] something useless, second-rate, inferior etc.
8. [2000s] anything disgusting.
see shit-all n.
see shit ass n.
see shit-ass adj.
see shit-brained adj.
[1940s+] a person of little worth; also attrib.
see shithead n.
see shithole n.
see shithouse n.
see shit-pit under shit n.
see separate entries.
see shitpot n. (2)
[1970s] (Irish) a term of abuse.
see beat the shit out of v.
[2000s] (Irish) to collapse in laughter.
[late 19C+] to terrify.
[1990s+] (Irish) to criticize, to scold.
[late 19C+] (Irish) to be due to suffer, usu. as an indication of rejection.
see in one’s hole under hole n.1
see kick the shit out of under shit, the phr.
see knock the shit out of under shit, the phr.
see seven kinds of shit under shit n.
see under shit-for-brains.
see under sure as... phr.
synon. with ‘to hell with’.
[1920s+] a harsh demand to go away.