1. [late 19C+] any situation.
2. [20C+] a place, esp. a party.
3. [1920s+] the fashionable world, usu. of the young, as defined by the current trends.
4. [1940s+] (drugs) the drug-taking environment.
5. [1960s+] (gay) a lengthy sexual encounter; often paid-for.
6. [1960s+] (orig. US black) choice, preference; usu. as not one’s scene
7. [1970s+] a sexual relationship.
8. [1990s+] (US gay) a situation created as a backdrop to a given sexual fantasy.
9. [2000s] (S.Afr. gay) the meeting places and relationships of the gay community.
[1980s+] (gay) one who frequents the world of bars, restaurants and streets equated with the gay lifestyle.
[1940s–60s] (US) to leave.
1. [1950s+] to be involved in a particular situation, esp. one that features fashionable, smart people.
2. [1950s+] to go somewhere.
3. [1950s+] to understand, to appreciate a situation, to experience something.
4. [1960s–70s] to appear, to be present.
5. [1960s–70s] (US gay) to have sexual intercourse.
1. describing an unpleasant or unacceptable situation.
2. describing anything not to one’s taste.
[1950s] (US black) to die.
1. to show off in front of, to attempt to impress.
2. to belittle.
3. to attempt to gain an advantage over someone by out-talking them.
[1950s+] (orig. US) to leave, to depart.