1. as a lit. or fig. bodily organ (primarily the penis) [sense 1c from sense 1a on model of prick n. (3)].
(a) [mid-16C+] the penis.
(b) [late 17C] the vagina.
(c) [late 17C+] a stupid, useless, socially inept person .
2. in senses of that which is used [SE tool, an instrument of manual operation, ult. ON tol, to prepare or make].
(a) [late 17C–mid-19C] an unskilful workman; usu. as dull tool, poor tool.
(b) [19C] a whip.
(c) [mid-19C] (UK Und.) a small boy who is put through a window that is too small for the adult members of that gang to enter and who then opens the door to admit them.
(d) [mid-19C–1960s] (UK/US Und.) that member of the pickpocket team who does the actual stealing; the wire n.2
(e) [mid-19C+] (also toolie) a weapon, usu. a gun, knife or razor.
(f) [late 19C+] a burglar’s implement, spec. a jemmy.
(g) [1960s+] (US campus, also power tool) a very hard worker.
(h) [1990s+] (US drugs) a hypodermic syringe.
1. [19C+] the vagina.
2. [1990s+] (also toolshed) a group of idiots, or just a very extreme idiot.
[19C] the vagina.
[1970s+] (US campus) a fool, an idiot.
[1960s] (Irish) a urinal.
1. [1940s+] a lock-picker; one who deals with alarms etc.
2. [1940s+] (US) a safe-breaker.
3. [2000s] a gun-carrying robber.
(UK Und.) one who carries and uses a knife.
[1970s] (US) to be foolish or crazy.
[1950s] (UK Und.) a tool used for committing a burglary.
see generating tool n.
SE in slang uses
[1990s+] unintelligent, stupid.