1. in monetary senses [? relatively small sums, as a pony is a small horse; Bee claims ‘the one [i.e. the bet] being derived from the other [i.e. the horse]’].
(a) [late 18C–mid-19C] money in general.
(b) [late 18C+] £25, orig. 25 guineas.
(c) [late 19C+] a double-headed coin.
(d) [1910s] (N.Z.) one pound sterling; occas. £5.
(e) [1960s+] (Aus.) A$25; A$50.
2. [19C] a bailiff, esp. one who accompanies a debtor on a day out from prison [? he carries people off].
3. US campus uses.
(a) [early 19C+] (also automobile) a literal translation of a classical text, a ‘crib’ [‘So called, it may be, from the fleetness and ease with which a skilful rider is enabled to pass over places which to a common plodder present many obstacles’ (Hall, College Words and Customs, 1856)].
(b) [mid-19C; 1950s] one who offers illicit help with an examination.
4. fig. use of SE pony in its sense of a small horse.
(a) [mid-19C+] (orig. US) a small glass of beer or other liquor; thus pony-glass, a small glass, with a capacity of approx. 6ml (2fl oz).
(b) [1900s–50s] (US) a (small) dancer or chorus girl.
(c) [1940s–50s] (US drugs) a weak measure of heroin [play on horse n. (7)].
5. [late 19C+] (US) a racehorse; thus the ponies n., horseracing.
6. in attrib. use of sense 5.
7. one who is ‘ridden’.
(a) [1940s] (US black) a young woman, a lover.
(b) [1960s+] (also pony girl) a prostitute or promiscuous woman.
8. [1980s+] (drugs) crack cocaine.
9. [1990s+] a ponytail hairstyle.
[2000s] (UK Und.) a small box of cash carried into a bank by a security guard.
1. [1980s] (US) in sadomasochistic use, a submissive male used as a ‘horse’.
2. [2000s] (US) a young male homosexual [sense 6a above].
1. see sense 6b above.
2. [1980s] (US) in sadomasochism, a female slave who is subjected to ‘equestrian training’.
[20C+] to bet on horseracing.
[1960s+] of a pimp, to promote prostitutes.
see string n. (5)
SE in slang uses
[1990s+] the digital stimulation of a woman’s genitals.
[1960s] (US) in a state of collapse from excessive drinking.
[1980s+] (US) of a woman, to have sexual intercourse astride the man.