1. [mid-19C+] (orig. US Und., also brain guy, brains) a planner, an ‘ideas man’, a mastermind, i.e. planning a bank raid but not participating in the actual action; often found in fiction as The Brain or The Brains.
2. [1910s–80s] (orig. US, also brains) in non-criminal use of sense 1.
3. [1910s+] (orig. US, also brains) an intellectual, an intelligent person, esp. one who is unpleasantly, anti-socially intellectual; also in ironic use.
4. [1940s] (US Und., also brain box) the combination of a safe.
5. [1980s] (US campus) in ironic reversal, a stupid person.
6. [2010s] (US black) fellatio.
SE in slang uses
see sense 4 above.
1. [mid-19C–1910s] (US, also brain barrel) the head, the skull.
2. [1950s+] a protective helmet, whatever its use.
[1970s] (US drugs/gay) amphetamines when taken intravenously.
1. [1990s+] (US campus) a random thought.
2. a brief instance of mental dysfunction.
[mid-19C] (orig. boxing) the head.
[1900s] (US) a cigarette.
[1960s+] (US) a very intelligent person.
[late 19C] (US) a lunatic asylum.
1. [1990s+] beer, or any strong intoxicating drink.
2. [2000s] (drugs) heroin.
see separate entries.
[1960s+] the emigration of highly qualified people, generally scientists and academics, from a country (e.g. Britain) in search of more prestigious jobs, better facilities for research and higher salaries.
[1960s] (Aus.) a university.
see separate entries.
see sense 1 above.
[late 19C+] (US) a fool, a scatter-brained person; a stupid thing.
1. [late 15C+] the human head.
2. [17C+] the mind.
[mid-19C-1900s] the skull, the head.
[1990s+] (US) fellatio.
[1980s] (US campus) an eccentric.
1. [20C+] (orig. US) a sudden inspiration or bright idea; thus brainstorming.
2. [1910s+] a nervous breakdown, a physical or emotional collapse.
[1900s-30s] (US) a cigarette.
[1960s+] (drugs) amphetamines.
[late 19C+] a sudden inspiration or bright idea.
[1980s+] to drive mad, to exasperate.
[1950s+] to copulate very strenuously and poss. sadistically, usu. of a man to a woman.
[1950s] (Aus.) to be motivated.
[late 19C] thinking.
1. [1940s+] intoxicated with drugs, or alcohol; thus go off one’s brain.
2. [1960s+] mad, crazy; thus go off one’s brain, to go mad, to lose emotional control.
3. [1990s+] overwhelmed.