1. [1910s+] (US) a stupid or worthless person, a simpleton [? the fruit is soft adj. (1) and yellow adj. (4)].
2. the shape.
(a) [1910s+] the penis.
(b) [1930s–40s] (US Und.) a homosexual [like the SE banana he is a bent adj. (5) fruit n. (2)].
(c) [1980s] a tube used for snorting cocaine.
3. the colour.
(a) [1940s+] (US black, also bananaskin) a light-skinned black person, esp. an attractive woman; one of the many terms that equate women with food; she is yellow adj. (2a); also attrib.
(b) [1960s+] a derog. term for an Asian who has chosen to adopt white, Western values, they are ‘yellow outside but white inside’.
4. in monetary uses [it is ‘sweet and acceptable’].
(a) [1950s] (Aus.) a £1 note.
(b) [1960s+] one dollar.
(c) [1990s+] in pl., money.
5. [1970s+] a corrupt policeman [coined during the 1970s investigation of London’s Special Patrol Group, declared to be ‘yellow, bent and hanging around in bunches’].
6. [1980s] (US campus) a bad thing.
[1970s+] (US) an eccentric.
[1980s+] (US campus) a hectic, horrible or futile situation.
[1960s+] a psychiatric institution in a tropical or semi-tropical country.
(US) a cheap cigar.
[1940s+] (US) a simpleton, a fool.
of a black person, having light skin tones.
[1980s+] to masturbate.
[1930s–40s] (US black) an attractive, light-skinned young woman.
[1960s] (orig. US) of a man, to have sexual intercourse.
1. [1930s–40s] (US black) a young, light-skinned woman [SE green, naïve].
2. the penis.
[1910s+] to have sexual intercourse with.
[1950s] (W.I.) a derog. term for an albino.
[1950s] (US) something that is very hard to achieve.
[1960s+] the penis.
SE in slang uses
1. [1940s+] (Aus.) a Queenslander.
2. [1990s+] a fool [stereotyping of sense 1].
1. [late 19C] (Aus.) a native or resident of Queensland.
2. [1950s+] (S.Afr., also banana girl) a resident or native of Natal; also attrib.
1. [late 19C+] (Aus.) Brisbane, Queensland.
2. [1950s+] (S.Afr.) Durban.
[20C+] (W.I., Gren.) one who gets a free ride from the country by climbing onto a banana lorry heading for town.
1. [late 19C+] (Aus.) Queensland; thus Banana-lander, Banana-eater, a native of Queensland.
2. [1950s+] (S.Afr.) the province of Natal, now KwaZulu-Natal; thus Bananalander.
[mid-19C+] (Aus.) an inhabitant of Queensland.
[1910s+] (US) a long or hooked nose; thus used as a nickname or epithet; also attrib.
[1920s+] (US) nonsense, insincere or hypocritical talk; thus as excl.
[1910s] (US) an Italian immigrant.
[1960s+] (drugs) amyl nitrite.
[1960s] to be unpleasant, to cause one annoyance, to be distasteful.
[1970s] (US) to work to the limits of one’s ability and strength.
[1980s+] (US campus) a flaring effect produced by breaking wind next to a lit match.
[1930s+] a dismissive excl.